Lynne,
Glad the surgery got all the Cancer.
Lunginsam, There have been much good advice and food for thought.  From my
experiences, after a winter of little riding, I begin commuting (on 16
miles round trip) Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays giving me days off in
between.  When I have built up to 5 days, I try to take it slow and easy
early in the week for a few weeks.
All the best,
Erl