Dear Eric and Ron,

I am not saying what you think I'm saying.

I said: "Until helmets can address the basic physics [and biology] of coup
countrecoup ... helmets will do very little to mitigate brain injury and a
lot to make people think they accomplish something [they do not]. To avoid
brain injury, avoid the impact."

Point being: wear a helmet or not, they can protect against some things but
helmets do not do very much if anything to protect against brain damage
because coup countrecoup happens regardless of wearing a helmet or not. The
greatest safety feature any cyclist has is riding smart to avoid the
accident in the first place -- and many many accidents can be avoided by
this active safety awareness. Grant does a great job covering some of this
in "Just Ride."

With abandon,
Patrick