On 09/13/2016 05:06 PM, Deacon Patrick wrote:
Dear Eric and Ron,

I am not saying what you think I'm saying.

I said: "Until helmets can address the basic physics [and biology] of coup countrecoup ... helmets will do very little to mitigate brain injury and a lot to make people think they accomplish something [they do not]. To avoid brain injury, avoid the impact."

Point being: wear a helmet or not, they can protect against some things but helmets do not do very much if anything to protect against brain damage because coup countrecoup happens regardless of wearing a helmet or not. The greatest safety feature any cyclist has is riding smart to avoid the accident in the first place -- and many many accidents can be avoided by this active safety awareness. Grant does a great job covering some of this in "Just Ride."

I don't think anyone is disputing the value of avoiding accidents in the first place. The problem is, you can't always. And what then?