Bob Lovejoy - yes, this, all of this! I am virtually crying on your shoulder.
Those were the words I was looking for and couldn’t come up with. I adore the
Rivendell mixtes, and I am so sad that they are less suited for me than they
were. I was set on getting the new Cheviot, but now I have to wait and see what
the new dimensions will be - and I don’t even understand those numbers on
paper, I just knew that the Clementine and Betty Foy were excellent for me. I
have been making myself take that new Clem out on challenging terrain/with
loads because I don’t trust it. Today I had to swerve to avoid something and it
was so unnerving because I didn’t know if the bike could do what I was asking
of it. It’s a long bike, and it doesn’t feel as nimble as my other bikes do; it
was fine, crisis averted, but I’d never feel this way with my previous bikes.
I’m left with that awful feeling of, “Will I ever get used to this?” “Did I
make a mistake?” “Am I supposed to be grateful for these improvements? Am I not
sophisticated enough to understand and appreciate them?” Because after all, I’m
not the bike geometry expert here. But I do have an understanding, however
crude and unrefined, of how good a properly designed and fit bicycle can ride,
because I’ve had one. And now I’m a lot of money and time into this experiment.

I wish I could just go back to enjoying every pedal stroke, but I know too much
now. It’s so hard to get used to anything else. I don’t mean to sound
ungrateful, but I am disappointed. I know I can sell the bike, but it’s not so
bad that it can’t work. I’m just a little sad and disappointed because I
thought it would be perfect. I think my sister would say the same about her
2019 Clem L, too.