I admittedly have at least one good crash a year, mostly simple commuting
in the snow/ice crashes that might dent my helmet a bit, but don't really
rise to the level of a good story.

That said, one of my "best" bike crash stories is the traditional young
kid, fast bike, big hill story.

It starts with me "borrowing" (kind of) my cousin's new Trek something
(this was a 1980 or so model). 23 or 25mm tires, superlight (compared to my
Mongoose BMX or Huffy 10 speed) and fast; so very fast...

I was out for a ride on this new bike when I saw an El Camino with a couple
of tough, older high school students in it turn on the street behind me.
Admittedly, I knew their reputation as troublemakers from the neighborhood,
so I immediately thought I should bike quickly away from them.
"Fortunately" I was at the top of hill when I started pedaling quickly down
the street to a riverside bike trail that was only a block (and a cross
street) away.

As I started descending the hill I heard the El Camino rev it's engine so I
pedaled even faster. I was easily going faster than I ever had (and likely
ever will) on a bike.

Now that soon to be crossed cross-street I mentioned earlier was fairly
untrafficed so I wasn't very worried about it when I started my sprint (I
was also about 14 years old), but as I was about 3/4 of the way down the
hill I notice a white panel van moving in my direction along this
cross-street at a rate of speed that made it eminently clear that I was not
going to be able to cross the street unimpeded by several thousands of
pounds of very solid, if slightly rusty, American manufactured steel in the
form of this van. (I should also mention here that I also had a stop sign,
whereas the driver of the van did not.)

Thankfully, my early teenage brain did the proper risk-assessment and
immediately jammed the brakes of the narrow tired Trek, causing me to go
into (what was probably a pretty cool) skid.  Fortunately I was able to
shed enough speed to not become a hood ornament of the van, but instead
simply added some aftermarket body modifications to the side door of the
van which I bounced off at about 20 miles per hour or so.

The next minute or so is a bit of a blur, but the couple that was in the
van get out and immediately start gesturing to me, but not saying anything
that I could hear outside of some mumbling.  My 14 year-old self thinks,
"Oh Sh!!!T, I'm deaf".  Thankfully the woman who lives on the corner where
the accident occurred had a daughter I grew up with (and was the lunch lady
at my elementary school) so she immediately runs out of the house and
starts yelling, "Scott, Scott are you OK!" so I get a sense that I'm not
deaf at least, but in still in a lot of pain.  Also, the kids in the El
Camino stopped to check on me and validate that I'm not deaf just dumb.

The usual follow-up happens, police are called, ambulance comes, parents
come, etc.. I have a separated shoulder, but no real damage.  I also find
out that the couple who's van I damaged, were deaf / mute so I feel pretty
bad then (and now) about injecting my idiocy on them.

Worst of all, the bike was trashed. Fork, front wheel, and frame were all
scrap and my cool bike access was gone until I purchased a used High Sierra
in college.

Scott M. (Chicago - Hyde Park)