I am 71 yrs old and live in a gated community for seniors north of Dallas. I
ride 3 times a week with a small group...we go 20 to 30 miles on each ride. I
do the occasional solo ride that averages 10 miles. A neighbor once waved me
down as I was leaving on my bike, and said, "Jim, I hate to see you riding that
bike....you are going to get killed!" I said,"do you know what the most
dangerous activity is within Heritage Ranch? (Not a day goes by without hearing
paramedic sirens coming through the front gate) My neighbor said, "what's
that?" I replied,"laying in a recliner day after day, watching cable news!"
I am not a lean and mean cyclist. I am 6' tall and weigh 220 pounds. I would
probably weigh 275 pounds or more without bicycling. I hate other types of
exercise because they are so boring. Like Garth...I prefer to be outside.
I have 3 Rivendells (Waterford Hilsen, Cheviot, and Roadini). Everytime I get
on one, I think to myself, "this is my favorite one!" I feel young again when
I'm riding a bike. Try to put a price on that! Bicycling is not just
exercise...it is also mentally refreshing.
My point is, yes...bicycling is dangerous, as is everything else. We just have
to be as careful as we can be, but look at the big quality of life picture.