Worst crash? Fifty mile fixed gear ride out through Occidental and Guerneville
in Sonoma County. Hustling back to the house so I could pick up my son from
kindergarten, I turned into my neighbors’ brick driveway a little too fast.
Bike slid out on the wet bricks, and I thought, “Oh, I’ll just catch myself on
the fender of my car.” Nope. Seconds later I was laying next to my car, bike
somewhere else, and clearly could feel my left arm out in front of me, but I
couldn’t see it where it should be. “Oh, I must’ve dislocated my shoulder.”
Grabbed the left arm to pop it back into place, but it was all floppy at the
elbow.
I started yelling for help. My wife, in the kitchen was like, “Philip’s
probably yelling about some dumb thing with his bike. I don’t need to deal with
that.” My neighbor across the street thought, “Oh no, the landscaper ran over
one of the neighbor’s puppies. I don’t need to see that.” About 30 seconds
later they all came running and took me to the hospital.
Five hours of surgery for my smashed humerus, two giant titanium plates, and
many pins, one of which came loose a month or two later and worked its way to
the surface, just under the bicep.

My arm still tells me when the weather changes.

Philip
Santa Rosa, Cal.