On Oct 16, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Garth wrote:

What do you folks that live in the cold do for the winter?

Stay off the roads. There's no reason to be unnecessarily miserable. "Winter" means streets covered in ice and snow, shared with drivers who have 1/10 the traction they are used to and are still talking on their cell phones, drinking a latte, pissed off, late for work or the kid's hockey game, etc. I have zero need to be out there on my bike in that malarkey. Riding a bike is supposed to be enjoyable, IMHO. Winter road riding is not (to me, YMMV) enjoyable.

Off road has more pleasant options, there are a number of maintained trails (e.g., plowed) in Minneapolis and, if the snow isn't too deep, there's a lot of riding opportunities on knobbies can be OK. Some of it can be downright lovely. Listmember Jim Thill has some great winter riding photos on Flickr. For example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twowheelflight/407404841/in/ set-72157600216293053/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twowheelflight/407405116/in/ set-72157600216293053/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twowheelflight/388704690/in/ set-72157600216293053/