Have done "beater" bikes in the past.  This year am planning on riding
my Surly LHT with 26" wheels in the winter.  Probably also my Salsa
Fargo.  Both will have studded tires.  The Sam Hillborne will be
inside on the trainer.  Will also be my first winter using drop bars.
Previously have only had flat bars.  Hope the change is easy.

Admittedly, am not as big at riding during winter.  Drivers in my area
seem less tolerant in winter than summer.  More close calls.  And am
still too large to ride trails on a non-snowbike.

Cleaning and oiling is more hit and miss.  Although if the weather is
mild, am more likely to do it.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN