If I can stick to riding on the flat rails-to-trails and its compacted
crushed stone surface when the snow hits, I think I'll stick to the
Bombadil and some Panaracer Fire Pro 700x45 or maybe Nokian W106. I've
read the studs do nothing for you on a crushed stone surface though,
so the Fire Pro's may be it. I could go a little wider, but I have P50
fenders on, so I may as well use them.

I could also ride my road bike on it with 35mm Nokians or maybe
another cross tire without studs. I don't know, the only way to know
is to try some tires.

Thankfully on the trail I have no worries about the chemicals and
salt. I've manged to keep my '99 pickup truck free of rust by rinsing
it every opportunity I could above freezing. It really does work when
you have to go out in the mess.