My fendered 1983 Trek 610 fixie is the winter beater.  It has the rust
to justify why the pretty bikes hibernate.  Boston winters are cold
but not at all unbearable; salty roads and black ice are the worst
parts.

When the Trek expires, I'll probably get a Surly Cross Check with
mildly studded tires like a Nokian A10.  I pretty much avoid the
trails in the winter since it's a slushy muddy mess out there.  Maybe
I'll spring for an internal gear hub....