On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 06:24 -0800, Christian wrote:

> I have direct experience.  While my B-17 was very comfortable it did
> not last.  I wore it out in about 4500 miles--it started sagging to
> one side and became asymmetrical.  So, it was really comfortable until
> it wasn't.  I have heard from many others--check out the discussions
> on the ibob list--that this is not uncommon.  Of course, you might buy
> one and have it last for 50,000 miles.

I have several B.17s, none new, with mileage in excess of 10,000 miles
and no asymmetric sagging.  Although some of these saddles were
purchased after the acquisition of Brooks, I believe they were all made
prior to that.  I'm not sure how common the problem is, but I've not
seen it in person, either on my saddles or other people's.

> I got a full refund as it was under warranty--it was only a year old--
> and purchased a Berthoud touring saddle from Mike Kone at Rene Herse
> in Boulder.  It's much harder initially than the B17; the leather is,
> by my imprecise calculations, at least twice as thick;

I recently got a Berthoud Touring and I agree, the leather seems to be
at least twice as thick as a B.l7.  I haven't ridden mine yet.