I have been using b.17s for while, but got frustrated when I burnt through
my last one in 7 months and went ahead and purchased a Berthoud touring
saddle.
I have only been using it for 2 months now but so far so good. It is a
little narrower than a b.17 but not in a bad way. Still has enough
room accommodate my sitbones. The shape seems perfect for me.
The craftsmanship is stunning compared to Brooks.
Compared to the now incredibly saggy brooks it does feel a lot firmer. I did
ride a 200k permanent within a few weeks of owning it and toward the end I
did have to ride out of the saddle occasionally to give my slightly
protesting sitbones some relief. It was not agonizing and only started
setting in during the last few miles but was noticeable and distracting
nevertheless. (Still significantly better than having the metal frame of the
b.17 dig into me though.). So far the Berthoud is perfect for up to a 100
miles and I expect it to get even more comfortable as the saddle and I get
more used to eachother.
I purchased mine from Rene Herse Bicycles who lets you try the saddle for 60
days and return it if you don't like it. I suggest you give it try.

Best,
Clayton Scott
SF, CA