I think this is too absolute a recommendation. It's certainly worth
considering but I myself, and others I've heard of, have found lower
bars more comfortable than higher bars, in certain situations and all
else equal, and longer stems more comfortable than shorter ones (in my
case, M-bars were tolerable, insofar as they have been tolerable, with
longer stems, not shorter, and lower, not higher).

This too is not a recommendation, only a warning that you can't always
reduce bar comfort to a simple rule, be it "higher" or "lower" or
"longer" or "shorter."