Well... it's not really that simple for me. Either of these bikes will
completely and comfortably cover the functionality I need and want.
Increasing my capabilities is something of an unlikely project, since
they are limited not by the bike but its engine :) I expect to do no
riding that I wouldn't feel perfectly comfortable doing on the
Hunqapillar or the Hillborne. If I had them both, I might prefer one
over the other every now and then, with most ties I'd expect to go to
the Hillborne. I've got a prejudice; if I could end up with two of one
and one of the other, I'd choose to have two Hillbornes and a single
Hunqapillar.

To me it's more a question of: Will I appreciate the variety itself
enough to give up near-total redundancy on the known-and-loved? I
mean, there's always the possibility that I won't actually love the
Hunqapillar. But I confess I've lately developed a desire to taste the
cushy goodness and even-more-solid ride that I'd expect from a
Hunqapillar. It's even remotely possible that I'll *prefer* it to the
Hillborne (hard to imagine from my current perspective).

As a practical matter, of course, I still will have lots of redundancy
with the Hillborne/Hunqapillar combination. I expect to be able to
swap cockpits without problem. Most parts and accessories will be
swappable (perhaps with tweaking) without any compromise. Fenders and
tires probably not. And maybe the seatpost, since there's some
possibility I won't be able to get a 27.2 seat tube on the
Hunqapillar. And I don't know about bottom brackets. Small
differences, but differences nonetheless.

So it's variety versus small compromise. I'm tending towards the
Hunqapillar, I think. But I won't hesitate to get a Hillborne if the
Hunqapillar doesn't fit. I haven't decided what I'm going to do if I
can't find out about the Hunqapillar's fit.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean