I took about a ten year break from cycling in my forties when life
demanded I focus exclusively on other things.  When I started back, I
set two rules for myself which proved very useful.  First I went on a
(Atkins) diet and lost 40 lbs.  Second, as I recommitted myself I
decided to avoid riding so much on any day that I wouldn't want to
ride again tomorrow.  Both of those proved to be very useful
decisions. About the same time I discovered Rivendell and I raised my
bars.  Setting them about 2 cm below my saddle provided great relieve
to my back and especially my neck muscles.

Drop bars provide the most variety for hand positions, which relieve
stress on the wrist & shoulders.  I found putting them higher  than
the saddle prevented me from standing up, and Vt has lots of short
steep rollers to get over, which are often easiest if you stand up and
give some push.

I'm in my mid-late 60's now and continue to ride with drop bars about
2 cm below the seat.  I do some yoga after every ride now.  I've lost
a lot of power and speed, and this year feel a drop in endurance, but
as long as I don't look at a bike computer too much, my happiness per
mile hasn't trailed off.

Drop bars also offer the  least stress on the buns and maybe the feet
too, which have been a problem for me.

michael
just back from a happy, hilly 20 mile ride.