Here's Grant's quote from Riv Reader #42:
"seven is good. a beater, a bomber, a single-speed, a tour- ing bike,
a lightish road bike, a do-all racked and bagged bike, a mixte, a
loaner, and a work in progress. seven? Make it nine."

Bikes are fun.  I like to think about tire size;

28cm -- Riv Road Custom S&S couplers 700c (58cm) - "lightish-road"
32cm -- Ebisu Randonneuse 700c (58cm) "..."
36cm -- Kogswell P/R city hauler 650B (58cm) "beater"
38cm -- Velo Cult Demontable all-road randonneuse 650B (58cm) "bomber"
42cm -- Rivendell Protovelo town & country tourer 650B (60cm) "do-all
racked and bagged"
52cm -- Black Sheep Ti Custom S&S couplers adventure tour ATB 700c
(56cm) "tour-ing"

The un-built 60cm orange Quickbeam in my office, and perhaps the
Protovelo may go one day.  I'd now like a Brompton for my wife and I
both to use, as I'd need to just accept the inferior ride quality that
comes with convenience.  Really, I'm "set."  Recent mortgage makes
that more so!