Ablejack: in my understanding, TA cranks were installed on the earliest MTBs
because everything else at the time was 52/39 or thereabouts. Campy had a
triple, but it was 54/42/36! Once some Japanese companies started making 110/74
cranks in 1983 or so, nobody ever used a TA on a MTB again. The claim that the
TA cranks wouldn't fail is the opposite of my reality. They failed frequently.
Every experienced bike mechanic I've known, and I've known some great ones,
would, upon seeing a TA crank, say, "check it for cracks," with a dismissive
tone as if cracks were standard-issue with this crank.

As for looks, that's subjective, of course. To me, the Francophile bikes are
over the top. They often do look good as a package, but I'd feel weird and
self-conscious riding one unless I was in a parade.