OK. I've heard that too. But those TA cranks are often 60 years old and
hard lived as well. And I'm not pushing the TA anyway, it's expensive and
more finicky. I can appreciate the parade factor of it.
What are some other options that allow for a 26t inner ring on a double
without the wide tread of a mountain set? Stronglight (also french) comes
to mind, and VO made a (fair, pretty but lesser quality) 94BCD as well.
The suggestions (RH, TA) I made allow for a truly wide range double - and
also are easily built as a triple as well if the user changes his mind. A
110 BCD requires a "triplizing" middle ring for anything smaller than 33t.
This usually means 34t because it's hard to find the 33t. This is fine for
randonneuring (light loads) but means walking up hills that a regular guy
can ride with a triple granny while loaded touring. - Not that there's
anything wrong with walking once in a while!