The thing to realize about the White VBC is they REALLY mean VBC.  Every
single inner ring that White makes has a different BCD.  They supply these
little rampy things that are held in place with the bolt assembly.  So
every inner ring is made such that the bolt is just inside the teeth of the
inner ring, so the rampy things are always in the perfect place to lift the
chain off the inner ring when you shift up to the outer.  You should not
think of the White as a crankset with a proprietary big ring and any inner
ring.  They are both proprietary rings, for better or for worse.  That
nuance didn't hit home for me until I had a long talk with them at their
booth at NAHBS.  Now I'm really eager to try a set, but I'll probably stock
up on rings if I do.