Uh, I have a problem with the CF fork because it's a shock-absorbing device
attached to the front wheel that snaps if something goes wrong with it. It
seems like a ridiculous application of the material to me. I'm less
concerned about CF for the frame..the loads are spread out more, and a
broken tube somewhere on it is less likely to put you on the ground. It's
that long, thin lever on the front that worries me, and I'm more than
entitled to worry about it.

As for types of bikes, I have an aluminum modern go-fast, an aluminum MTB,
and several steel Bridgestones in various stages of Rivendell-ism. They all
have steel forks. You wanna hear about my Motobecane disk-brake road bike?
Meet me at The Paceline. Talking about it here is off-topic.