Michael,

In the past I've specifically trained for specific atheletic endeavors such
as technical rock and ice climbing, marathon running, and olympic-style
weightlifting. In those days, training occurred at a high intensity, often
for hours on end, daily. In technical climbing and the sport
of weightlifting, technique is supremely important, so a fairly high volume
of training was required (in olympic-style weightlifting, there were a few
years of 3 workouts/day, 5 days/week with no single session lasting more
than an hour). Marathon training was done at fairly high volume, too, but
more for "psychological hardening" than for cardiorespiratory or
musculoskeletal development. Training like this, though, is not about being
healthy--it's about sports performance.

For health and general conditioning these days, I naturally cleave to
something similar to Sisson's prescription. Mostly, I "play" for fitness. I
still use principles of olympic-style weightlifting in my strengthening (I
think the snatch and the clean & jerk are fun lifts and are very
applicable across a wide variety of athletic applications), I ride a fixed
gear for my cardiovascular development because this naturally entails
interval training, I probably rest between workouts more than I should :)
and I rarely, if ever, do the same exercises twice in any given week.

With respect to things like body fat percentages and the like, I recall a
study (I don't have the article in front of me at the moment) which looked
at 5 body fat of elite level male and female sprinters, middle-distance
runners, and marathoners. Marathon runners (male) had % body fat around
11-13%, sprinters around 4% and middle distance runners were in the 6-10%
range. The numbers for females were similarly distributed. If anyone would
like the citation for the study, let me know and I'll dig that out when I
get home. . .

I hope this helps. . .

Cheers!

lyle