Timely subject-- am increasingly convinced that most of these Velocity rims
are just not made for heavy loads and wide tires. Yesterday I found that
both rims on my 650B tandem were splitting in
half<http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-125.html>under the rim tape,
probably because we ride 42mm wide Hetres at 70-80psi
and weigh 300lbs, plus bike. One rim was Australian and the other USA, both
were O/C Synergy rims. The Australian one was also cracking around the
eyelets. Am sure Velocity will replace them, but why should the
replacements last any longer?

I like the Synergy because it is the best option for 650B and rim brakes,
but at the crux of the issue is that Synergies (and perhaps also Chukker)
are really not intended for touring or heavy loads (especially with wide
tires). Wish there was a heavier duty option that supported rim brakes
(Deep-V/Chukker also seems to lack the support for wide tires that real MTB
rims have, so maybe Psycho would be a better starting point).

Hopefully the arrival of the 650B "freight train" will help!