It's not clear (to me, anyway), what criteria are used by the judges at NAHBS.
That best-of-show time-trial bike isn't my cup of tea, but it seems likely that
its builder demonstrated considerable skill in building it. There are a lot of
skilled artisans exhibiting at NAHBS, and I imagine picking a winner across a
huge range of styles is difficult, not to mention subjective. That said,
there's no particular reason why a NAHBS-winning bike has to have anything in
common with a Rivendell.

Attempts to categorize bikes drive me a little nuts. How can you define a "city
bike" by specifying particular wheel sizes or components or accessories? My
bikes have more to do with my tastes and preferences than they do with the fact
that I ride them in a city. Furthermore, I don't own a bike that can't be
ridden in any city. What you are really asking is "what features characterize
your stereotypical city bike?" Such stereotypes reflect branding and marketing
more than anything.