Good points, Jim.

I think it's just our nature to try to put things in little boxes. If we want to define a "city bike", all we can really do is list features that might best serve a particular individual in a particular city. Would you call a messenger's ratty old fixie NOT a city bike? He probably gets more use out of it than any commuter does on their sensible bike. Is a bomb-proof, 26"-wheeled, fendered, fully-lit, racked, 5 speed bike better? Maybe, but for whom? Personally, I don't need all that; someone else may.

All of this, circling around to NAHBS, shows that we all like to dabble in the "what if". I went to NAHBS to two solid days last year; I saw a huge variety of ideas. Some of the stuff is artsy, look-what-I-can build kind of stuff; other bikes were so well designed that it's hard to believe anyone could ever come up with anything better.

When you come right down to it, who cares who wins what category at NAHBS? Everything that won something was exquisitely built, a lot of it is innovative, and some of it was actually practical. It's all subjective, but I'm glad it's all being done. The industry is blooming with creativity!

Dave