My tip for the day is be alert to changing road conditions, which can be
either obvious or subtle in winter.  I had my first road riding fall in
about 20 years this morning.  I am a semi-retired educator and this is a
non-working day for me.   I was doing a multiple errand ride to spots 2
miles or so away on my old Bridgestone MB-2 with a trailer.  It was 31 F
with fog and the black top and concrete did not feel slippery but making a
turn I slid out on paint marking the a cross-walk that had an icy glaze,
apparently from freezing condensation.  The markings were wide paint lines
perpendicular to the crossing.  I was going less than 10 miles and no
significant damage to me or the bike but my helmet did contact the road.  I
have a second set of wheels for this bike that I keep studded tires on, but
I like to postpone putting these on because they do feel appreciably
slower.  The studded tires work well for most winter conditions but
sometimes slush can be a problems; that can float the tires enough that the
studs won't contact the payment.  I don't attempt to bike the whole way for
my school that is more than 10 miles away even in warm weather so no on the
main question.  As for winter gear, I like this Salice visor.  It works
better than goggles over prescription glasses for avoiding fogging.  Some
cross country ski stores carry it.  -Pete

http://xcski.gearwest.com/product/salice-antifog-visor/400465/393527/1172345/1872659