My Marmot DriClime wind jacket has vented armpits. My Patagonia hooded rain
jacket has zippered armpits. Neither suffer from ventilation problems that
result in getting clammy, so maybe these design features are the key to
synthetics.

They both block wind and rain in a way which no woolen material in my
wardrobe can approach, and at about a quarter of the bulk and weight.

I bought a cheapo transparent emergency rain top with no ventilation from
Nashbar some years ago. It fogs up with condensation, sweat running down
the sleeves in torrents inside of 30 minutes, irrespective of base layer
material.

Jeff Hagedorn
Waragul, VIC Australia