For many years I have had a 15 mile (each way) commute, year round, wet or
dry, cold or hot. Winter tips: reflectors can be as effective as lights.
You can never have too many reflectors on rider and bike. Lights rule. I
have a SON dyno hub powering front and rear lights. You can get a $35.00
marine emergency strobe that outperforms any bike specific strobe. I have
one facing rearward - a rear white light may not be legal, but it's
effective. Cold: Start off cold and you'll warm up soon. My hands and feet
are hardest to keep warm. If your pedals permit, sandals work really well
because there is plenty of room for layers of wool socks. You can also get
waterproof socks at REI. Otherwise, as many layers of wool socks as you can
get into your shoe. Heavy non-cycling winter gloves work best for me. And
if you're a guy, a square of material tucked into the front your shorts can
prevent painful frost bite. For rain I use and old Carradice rain poncho -
I'm waiting not-so-patiently for the new Riv rain jacket. Keep the rubber
side down!