The synthetic vs natural fiber base layer argument makes the steel vs
carbon discussion look polite. It is not an area of compromise. Deacon and
I ride the same bike - I wear synthetic and he wears wool. We share the
same ancestral homeland and should share the same evolutionary drift - but
I itch if I get within 20 feet of the finest wool combed from young sheep
on the far side of the mountain. I have worn Patagonia capilene from its
inception and been consistently pleased with its performance. Good friends
wear the Patagonia wool line - but for us it is a don't ask and don't tell!
In addition to the itching I am by vocation and avocation frequently wet -
capilene works wonders when it is wet. I have new students try a t-shirt of
both fabrics and they quickly go one way or the other. Both products work
very well, just choose the one that feels best to you. Either one can keep
you warm and comfortable.