Murray,
you probably had R-2.4.1 installed on this machine at the given location
and did not update fully.

The package rcom creates a registry entry.
This is done when you run the command "comRegisterRegistry()"
at first use. When you install a new version of R,
you need to install the latest version of rcom and run this
command again.
Please install package rcom for R-2.8.0 from CRAN and run this command.
Then try again.

--
Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science