We do a fair amount of systems at "altitude".  Recently we had an issue
with a Radian system at about 10,000'.  An 8048 inverter screaming (fans
running hard) with just 2000 watts of load.  I hounded tech support for two
years, and even after switching power modules, etc in the end the techs
claim a fairly substantial deration (that I can't quote right now) of
inverter performance because of cooling issues.  We  ultimately added
another inverter to the system at the end of last summer.  I hope this
season we will see a better result.   It makes sense, given the difference
in air density, but I do scratch my head and wonder why we haven't seen
such issues with the older FX's, and some of the older legacy systems?

I also know that the Midnite classic charge controllers seem to run the
fans quite hard as well.  I haven't had to replace any of the fans, and the
controllers are performing great, but wonder if that will be an issue in
the future.   It would be great if some manufactures would give us a
quality, competitively priced, equipment that is rated for altitude, but I
don't think there are that many options out there as of now

.

Jay Pozner
(970) 642-5554
www.nunatakenergy.com