RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

Website Promotion Made Easy!

Online Awareness is a Manchester based company who help businesses advertise
their Website on the Internet. We can promote your services using the main
online search engines; Google, Yahoo and MSN. This will increase your Web
visibility, enquiries, leads and sales.

For a FREE Website review, please contact us using the details below quoting
reference: OA/REDNEWS

Telephone: 0161 432 3669
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.online-awareness.com

****

www.rednews.co.uk
Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/index.htm

---------------------------------
[41] Boothroyd on our play
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"They move you about, vertically and horizontally. They are so fluid. That can
be a weakness to exploit - but you have to get the ball first."

---------------------------------
[40] Mourinho on Final
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"This will be a big, big final, no question. Both teams have been unbelievable
- it will be like a dream for me."

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/436053/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11);document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=443&a=608750&g=436053
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/196059/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11);document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=443&a=608750&g=196059
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

---------------------------------
[39] FA on unsold tickets
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"The bottom line yesterday was that Manchester United sold their allocation and
Watford, who asked for a full allocation, were unable to sell their allocation,
which left a few thousand empty seats. With regard to today's game, we were
limited to the number of venues which could potentially stage the game. We gave
Chelsea and Blackburn a large allocation, around 30,000 each. We understand it
is a very busy time for supporters, particularly those of clubs still involved
in Europe, but we try to choose grounds which are suitable both in capacity and
geographically in order to allow as many fans as possible to see the games, and
we have tried to price the tickets sensibly. But it is a Catch-22 situation: on
the one hand, you have Manchester United fans who could not get tickets for
yesterday's game, and then we have made a lot of tickets available for today's
game and now we are being criticised for having empty seats at the stadium
because we have chosen a largest capacity stadium available to us."

(simple solution is to always reward loyalty and give United fans the bigger
allocations)

---------------------------------
[38] More Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"I'm doing well at the minute, I'm scoring a few goals and the team is doing
well. I hope I don't get a rest. We've got real confidence and belief in
ourselves, we're playing some brilliant attacking football and opening teams
up. I'm delighted to be a part of that."

---------------------------------
[37] Milan Day Trip
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
Day Stop - Milan
Departing Manchester
Returning after the game
All transfers included
£249
Champion Sports Travel
Office: 2a Sir Matt Busby Way
Tel: 0161 282 - 1966

---------------------------------
[36] Fergie on support at Villa Park
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
“Our fans today, what do you make of them? They were absolutely out of this
world. Sometimes I couldn’t even hear my bench when they were trying to pass me
messages. It was unbelievable.”

---------------------------------
[35] More Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
“I thought it was a fantastic team display. I'm really proud of them because in
terms of losing Rio Ferdinand and having to reshape the team, it was a
marvellous performance. Our courage was excellent and when you see the way the
lads were in the dressing room after the match, it tells you we have got a
special bunch of players.  The courage was excellent. Wes Brown and Gaby Heinze
stuck their heads on every cross that came into our box. But we had so many
outstanding players. Wayne Rooney was fantastic, that was his best performance
this season. The goal threat from him and Cristiano Ronaldo will take us far.
We scored four but we could have scored more. Alan Smith has breathed new life
into us. He has brought something different to the party. His enthusiasm is
fectious, and defenders hate playing against him. I actually feel sorry for
them sometimes because he is such a strong and determined lad. He is leading
the line so well and running his guts out. He’s made a difference to us, I’m
telling you. I’m pleased for the boy.”

 http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-795737-10374228

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-795737-10374296 thomascook.com
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

" http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-795737-10390137 "Save upto £400 on Cuba &
Dominican Republic holidays""
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[34] Fergie on Youth Cup Final 1st leg tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"They are a capable bunch and I think they will get a result. At the start of
the season I could not see the possibility of them winning the Youth Cup. But
by the end of November they started to see some physical progress in the likes
of James Chester, Danny Drinkwater and Sam Hewson. Then, all of a sudden, the
shape of the team gets better and they have developed into a really good young
side." If it gets anywhere near the Arsenal game it will be a fantastic
contest. We never get an easy game at Anfield, whether it is the youth team,
the first-team or the ground staff. We know it will be hard but hopefully we
will get the right result."

---------------------------------
[33] Rooney on trophies
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"That's what you play for, to be in cup finals and to win trophies. "We're
delighted we're into one cup final. Hopefully we can go far in the other
competitions. We're scoring freely at the minute and we're looking to continue
that."

---------------------------------
[32] United confirm pre-season dates
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
17 July v Urawa Red Diamonds, Japan

20 July v FC Seoul, Korea

23 July v Shenzhen FC, Macau

27 July v Malaysian XI, Kuala Lumpur

David Gill

"The Club has a large and very loyal fanbase in the region and the players
always enjoy their trips to see them and play in front of their passionate
support.  Everyone is looking forward to it."

---------------------------------
[31] More Watford boss
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"I asked for them to come off the pitch letting them know Manchester United had
been in a game and we did that. We had them rattled at 2-1 but the way they
play you are at your most vulnerable when you have got the ball. I am
disappointed to go out but they were too strong. They can counter attack very
quickly and have some wonderful players. We had a game plan to frustrate and
upset them and that proved to be the case."

---------------------------------
[31] Rio on FA Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"Once we knew the final was going to be played at Wembley, we wanted to get
there even more. It has a great history. To be the first to play there will be
phenomenal. Hopefully, we can go there and win. All that was important today
was winning. The performance was secondary."

---------------------------------
[30] Giggs on FA Cups and Treble talk
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"With the momentum we are building this team are capable of winning the treble.
We need to carry on winning and that will build the confidence even more. The
history books show they won it. This team has the ability but we still have to
go out and win the trophies. It's a hell of a month coming up. The games are
coming thick and fast. But we can put the FA Cup to bed until the Final and
concentrate on the Premiership and Champions League. The defeat against Arsenal
still haunts me. It was hard to take. To dominate the game and lose was
dreadful. It's brilliant to think we are going to the new Wembley. I remember
going to the old one as a young boy. Like any other kid I dreamed of playing in
an FA Cup Final at Wembley and now that dream is going to become reality for
me. I'm feeling good, doing well and scoring a few goals which is pleasing."

If you haven't already signed up to e.bay.co.uk - quick and easy to do - do so
and each registration when you make a bid on ebay.co.uk within the first 30
days helps this site.

 http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5232-2978-15/1?aid=10285634&pid=795737

 http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-328/1?aid=10366505&pid=795737
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

And you can join up and if you use e.bay.com for a bid within 30 days that
helps us too

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5377629

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[29] Official site on team news
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
'Rio Ferdinand could be back in action against Sheffield United despite limping
out of Saturday's FA Cup semi-final victory with a groin injury.

The Reds' defender aggravated the knock he picked up against AS Roma last week,
but Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that he is in with a chance of facing Neil
Warnock's men.

Ferdinand was replaced in the 40th minute by Darren Fletcher against Watford,
who made the unlikely move to right back. With Fletcher's introduction, Evra
switched to his favoured left back position, while Gabriel Heinze moved into
the centre to partner Wes Brown.

Ferdinand joins fellow defenders Gary Neville (ankle), Mikael Silvestre
(shoulder), John O'Shea (calf) and Nemanja Vidic (shoulder) on the treatment
table, although O'Shea and Neville are both expected to return soon.

The boss does have youngster Craig Cathcart available, who was recently given
the No.32 squad number. The 18-year-old is likely to keep his place on the
bench against Neil Warnock's side.'

---------------------------------
[28] Rooney on Watford
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"It was a big game today and Watford made it tough for us. We were looking to
have a quick start and we managed that with the early goal. I scored a few
goals playing from out wide so I'm sure that's where I'll probably play in the
next game. They're a physical team and we knew at some point in the game we'd
have to defend. I think up until 1-1 and just after half-time we had to battle
and we did that well. Watford put us under pressure with some long balls and
long throw-ins, so we were delighted to get the second goal and go into
half-time 2-1 up. My second goal killed the game off. Alan Smith played a great
ball into me and I couldn't miss from there. That's what you play for, to be in
cup finals and to win. We're delighted we're into one cup final. Hopefully we
can go far in the other competitions. We're scoring freely at the minute and
we're looking to continue that."

---------------------------------
[27] Official site on Milan
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
'AC Milan moved up to fourth in the Serie A after a 3-1 win over struggling
Messina on Sunday.

United's Champions League semi-final opponents were 2-0 up by half-time thanks
to goals from Kaka and Giuseppe Favalli.

Brazilian striker Ronaldo sealed victory on 85 minutes with Milan's third,
before Stefano Masiello grabbed a consolation for the visitors in stoppage time.

Elsewhere, Roma responded to their 7-1 hammering at Old Trafford with a 4-0 win
over Sampdoria.

Francesco Totti fired them in front on 21 minutes at the Stadio Olimpico and
added a second six minutes after the hour. Matteo Ferrari struck the third on
72 minutes, before Christian Panucci completed the rout three minutes from
time.

The win keeps Roma nine points ahead of third placed Lazio.

The first leg of the Reds' semi-final with Carlo Ancelotti's men takes place at
Old Trafford on Tuesday 24 April. The second leg is eight days later on
Wednesday 2 May at the San Siro.'

---------------------------------
[26] Fergie happy for Smith
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"Smith has breathed fresh life into the side. He's been incredible. I've had to
organise the team to suit the talents. Ryan is definitely suited to playing the
role he played. Wayne has no problem with that. We know his best position is
through the middle but he scored two good goals today because he was constantly
running inside people. Watford ask questions of you. They are honest,
aggressive, brave players. They ask the question 'Are you going to stick your
head in, because I am?' We passed that test and I was pleased with that. It was
a blow when Ferdinand went off because we feared the worse at that stage. We
are down to the bare bones defensively at the moment but we had the courage of
Heinze and Brown. It's been a great tournament for me. That dressing room
tonight, the atmosphere is special. It's fantastic. I've been telling Heinze
and Evra and the others all about it and when they go they'll realise why
everyone talks about Wembley. We've had to endure two replays and some scary
moments this season. But we've played all Premiership opposition and not had
any easy ties. We can take credit for that."

---------------------------------
[25] Fergie happy to be back at new Wembley
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"We're all delighted. I think it's appropriate with our history of winning the
FA Cup more than any other club. We're all pleased at that. I've never seen the
place, but they tell me it's spectacular. It's always been a special place the
times we've been there and we've really enjoyed it."

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2051413-5590780
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2051413-8829216 Argos Latest offers and price
drops!
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[24] Fergie on Milan
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"I am sure it will be a fantastic game but one thing is for certain, we are not
going to be afraid of it. There were one or two moments in the last game two
years ago when there was a little bit of nervousness and caution about us.
There is no need for that. We are playing a great side with a lot of
experience. But we have a lot of attributes too. The last time we played them,
we missed six or seven chances. We know that cannot happen again, so the
experience of our last games against them is going to be a big help. In terms
of our experiences in Milan, the last time there were no problems and hopefully
it will be the same again. I didn't think there would be any problem before our
game on Tuesday but there was a short spell of trouble. Unfortunately, it kept
being repeated on TV so it made you think there was bedlam for an hour, which
gave a bad impression. Overall, the police dealt with the situation absolutely
brilliantly and hopefully the Milan police will have enough consideration to
deal with anything that comes along over there."

---------------------------------
[23] Smith
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"Do I want to make my name as a centre-forward with United now? Yeah,
definitely. There aren't many bigger games than a Champions League
quarter-final. And so the biggest thing, the most pleasing thing for me before
the Roma game, was that the manager had the faith to put me out there as a
centre-forward in a game we needed to win. That was a very big thing for me and
the goal was massive. I scored 10 in my first 12 games at United and I scored
eight goals in the Champions League in one season for Leeds, so there's no
doubt in my mind that I can do it."

---------------------------------
[22] Get something off YOUR chest
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
Want to get something off your chest?

Then write a letter for the mag? Ideally a maximum of 250 words, send your
thoughts on an issue bothering you to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[21] Giggs
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"With the momentum we are building this team are capable of winning the treble.
We need to carry on winning and that will build the confidence even more. The
history books show they won it. This team has the ability but we still have to
go out and win the trophies. It's a hell of a month coming up. The games are
coming thick and fast. But we can put the FA Cup to bed until the Final and
concentrate on the Premiership and Champions League."

---------------------------------
[20] Sunday tabloids link us with Owen
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
>From News of the World (People linked us too)

'Manchester United are ready to make a sensational summer move for Michael Owen.

Sir Alex Ferguson has focused his search for a striker on Newcastle's
27-year-old England star, who has a £12million release clause in his contract.

Owen has been out with a serious knee injury since last summer's World Cup
finals but scored in a friendly game against Gretna last week.

He has been pleading with Toon boss Glenn Roeder for a chance in the first-team
and could make his comeback against Chelsea next week.

Ferguson will only launch a bid if he is fully satisfied Owen has recovered
from the knee operation.

A well-placed United source told us: "It is no secret that Sir Alex wants
another striker and he is bound to be attracted by someone of Owen's pedigree
at such a competitive price. Naturally we would have to be certain he has
recovered from his injury and that is why his return will be closely monitored.

"Ideally we want to see him in action for several games between now and the end
of the season."

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2051413-10356806

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2051413-10367483 City breaks from £99
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[19] Rooney excited
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"I have never experienced an end of season like this one before but I don't
need a rest. I love to play. I feel fit and strong and a match every three or
four days is fine by me. That is what you come to a big club for. We have not
played as well as this during my time at United. Some of our attacking football
has been brilliant and I am delighted to be a part of it. People were writing
us off not that long ago but we knew we had a lot of young players coming
through and the situation would change. Now we have made a bit of history by
reaching the first FA Cup final at Wembley and hopefully we can go on and win
it. We lost to Arsenal in 2005, which was very hard to take given the way we
dominated the game. We are determined to put that right this year. I always try
to match or do better than my previous goal tally and to equal now with so many
games left to go is very pleasing. Hopefully I can get more. I am doing quite
well at the minute and long may that continue."

---------------------------------
[18] Rio
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"I find it hard to talk to people I am against in football. When we go away
with England, I might talk to Frank about other stuff, but I would never talk
to him about what we are doing at United or ask him what Chelsea are doing. It
just doesn't work like that. I think there is a mutual respect between players
from rival clubs and we just let our football do the talking, rather than
having a wind-up with each other. I said to Smudger, 'we're back in the
semi-final, let's make sure that we don't have a repeat of the last time we
were there.' I remember the time and place of the second leg, every minute of
the game, almost every kick and, most importantly, how I felt at the end. It's
not a feeling I want to ever have again. At times, it was kind of breathtaking
against Roma and it is difficult to say who was the star player. Giggsy was
unbelievable, Cristiano was unplayable, Wazza [Wayne Rooney] was great, so was
Darren Fletcher and the amount of running Smudger did for someone who hadn't
played for so long was incredible. It was just another step in the right
direction for Cristiano and Wazza. They're gaining experience every season and
you can see the difference in their displays and their maturity even from last
season. They are both players who can hang on to the ball for long periods,
which gives us a chance for a breather at the back."

---------------------------------
[17] BBC match stats
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
Watford: Lee, Mariappa (Doyley 88), Carlisle, Stewart, DeMerit, Chambers (Kabba
70), Smith, Mahon, Francis, Bouazza, Priskin (King 78).
Subs Not Used: Loach, Bangura.

Booked: DeMerit.

Goals: Bouazza 26.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Evra, Ferdinand (Fletcher 40), Brown, Heinze, Ronaldo
(Richardson 77), Scholes, Carrick, Giggs (Solskjaer 83), Smith, Rooney.
Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Cathcart.

Booked: Rooney, Carrick.

Goals: Rooney 7, Ronaldo 28, Rooney 66, Richardson 82.

Att: 37,425.

Ref: H Webb (S Yorkshire).

---------------------------------
[16] 2nd chance to get the 20th anniversary new Red News 135 with Gary Nev
interview is tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Order online, or by post, fax, or by phone.

You can now fax orders with your credit card details (name, address, number and
start/end date) on 0161 332 8267

RN 135 20th Anniversary Edition. Gary Nev interview. Out April 10th
RN 134 Sold out
RN 133 Sold Out
RN 132. Sold Out
RN 131. Out December 9th.
RN 130. Out November 26th.
RN 129 Out October 17th.
RN 128. Out September 17th.

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

Best United news service on the web... Want more? Support Red News and buy the
mag. The fanzine is published roughly once a month during the season and once
during the summer. Buying it helps this site survive and develop. And you get a
cracking read!

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

To order online using any card you use, click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red%20News%20Copy%20Single%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Copy%20Single%20Order&no_shipping=2&cn=Which%20issue%20number%3f&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red%20News%20Copy%20Single%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Copy%20Single%20Order&no_shipping=2&cn=Which%20issue%20number%3f&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

You can now fax orders with your credit card details (name, address, number and
start/end date) on 44-16-1332-8267

you can order any of the items for sale on RN by cheque (sterling, made payable
to Red News), to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

or put your order - cheque only - in an envelope and hand to a RN seller
selling Red News on a matchday.

NB*** We can also process your order over the phone. Send us your phone number
and order details to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subscribe to Red News. And you get in our VIP Forum for a year.

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red%20News%2010%20issue%20subscription&item_number=Red%20News%2010%20issue%20subscription&no_shipping=2&cn=Start%20from%20which%20number%3f&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red%20News%2010%20issue%20subscription&item_number=Red%20News%2010%20issue%20subscription&no_shipping=2&cn=Start%20from%20which%20number%3f&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Donation&no_shipping=0&tax=0&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Donation&no_shipping=0&tax=0&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

Back Issues

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm

any questions, contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[15] Boothroyd
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"They were just too strong for us and we didn't take our chances when we had
that great little period in the second half. It wasn't as one-sided as the
scoreline suggests."

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2051413-5042808

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2051413-10387791 Hotels in Manchester
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[14] Denis Law on Ronaldo
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"The way he's playing he could go on to become United's greatest player. He's
so exciting. And when you have Rooney with him as well, that's a formidable
duo. They could go on and win everything. It's very difficult to compare
Ronaldo and George Best, but if Bestie played in this team, they'd be on a par.
This team has got everything. There's a great chance they can do the Treble.
They're in the final of the FA Cup, I think they're a certainty to win the
league so it's a matter of if they play well in the Champions League semi-final
against Milan."

---------------------------------
[13] Fergie delighted after Villa Park win
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"It was a fantastic performance. It was as good as Tuesday in terms of the
endurance, the courage, accepting the disappointment with Ferdinand when we had
to change the team. It was absolutely magnificent, I was so proud. Wayne Rooney
had his best game of the season, he was absolutely fantastic. Alan Smith has
brought a breath of fresh life to the team. He is doing fantastically for us.
It was Cristiano's 21st goal and he could go on to score 25, the form he is in."

---------------------------------
[12] BBC with early team news
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
'Rio Ferdinand may feature for Manchester United after initial examinations
showed his groin injury is not a long-term problem.

But a Saturday return for him and John O'Shea (calf) are more likely, so Darren
Fletcher may be at right-back, while Craig Cathcart, 18, eyes a debut.'

---------------------------------
[11] Squad for tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
Van der Sar, Kuszczak, O'Shea, Fletcher, Cathcart, Ferdinand, Brown, Heinze,
Evra, Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Richardson, Rooney, Smith, Solskjaer,
Dong

---------------------------------
[10] Rio on injury
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"I don't know about Tuesday (against Sheffield United) but think I should be
all right for Saturday. It was the semi-final of the FA Cup, so I was
disappointed to come off. I will speak to the physios about the injury, and I
will obviously know more next week, but hopefully it is not too bad. Once we
knew the final was going to be played at Wembley, we wanted
to get there even more. It has a great history. To be the first to play there
will be phenomenal. Hopefully, we can go there and win. All that was important
today was winning. The performance was secondary. We were disappointed to
concede a goal but the response we are getting at the moment to conceding goals
is more important than anything."

When you plan to have a bet - use Sporting Odds through us

 http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983
http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983

---------------------------------
[9] Rio on fringe players
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
"The fringe players are very important. Look at Darren Fletcher. He was
magnificent against Roma in central midfield and then he has been asked to play
at right-back and looked as though he has been there all his life. He is a
fantastic all-round footballer, who is now starting to get the credit his
footballing talent deserves. The manager has said all along the players who
weren't necessarily playing at the start of the season are the ones who have to
come to the fore. They have done that."

---------------------------------
[8] More details of the debt§
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
from the FT

'The Glazer family's takeover of Manchester United resulted in a pre-tax loss
of £137.7m in the club's holding company, figures filed at Companies House
reveal.

The accounts for Red Football, set up by Malcolm Glazer for the deal, also show
for the first time that the actual amount paid by the Glazers was £809.1m.

According to the accounts, after a net asset valuation of £286.8m, the goodwill
generated from the deal comes to £522.4m, depreciating by £39.2m a year over 15
years.

Interest payments on debt of £598m totalled about £85.2m in the 14 months
between May 1 2005 and June 30 2006, divided between £27.2m from cash flow and
£57.9m in high-yielding payment-in-kind notes.

The accounts are the first declaration by the Glazer family, owner of the Tampa
Bay Buccaneers NFL team, of the scale of the club's indebtedness needed to
secure the takeover.

The family waged a protracted battle with the board before securing the
takeover. However, the club's success on the pitch - it leads the Premier
League and is in the semi-finals of the Champions League and the FA Cup - has
eased pressure.

Manchester United reported in January that the club had made a £31m profit in
the 12 months to June 30, with earnings at £46.3m. Red Football's earnings were
£10m lower, the result of costs borne in the last two months of the accounting
period.

People connected to the Glazer family said the accounting losses were expected
and reflected the cost of financing the old capital structure of the club, the
depre- ciation of goodwill and exceptional one-off takeover costs.'

---------------------------------
[7] Gary not back until Milan?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
Fergie

"Gary has a slight chance for the Middlesbrough game but a good chance for the
AC Milan game."

---------------------------------
[6] 20 years of Red News. a grand offer for just £20
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
20 years of Red News. A grand offer for just £20 to celebrate our 20th
anniversary this month.

Get 1 classy t-shirt, the latest 20th anniversary mag (RN135) with Gary Nev
interview, one book, 10 back issues... all for just £20 inc p&p in the UK
(£26.50 ROW) £17.50 off the rrp!

Your choice of t-shirt.
Either Olelegend (m,l,xl sizes available)
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop66.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop66.htm
or Eric the King (m,l,xl,xxl sizes)  http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop60.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop60.htm

The latest mag PLUS 10 back issues covering our 20 years

And your choice of book from the following

My Memories of Manchester United by Norman Whiteside
Red News' European Glory 68 and 99 by the fans
Red News' If The Reds Should Play - travelling across Europe as United
supporters
Frank Taylor's The Day A Team Died
Keith Norris' My Big Lily

ALL THOSE FOR JUST £20 inc p&p in Uk (£26.50 ROW)

Click on below to order via paypal below

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red%20News%20Shirt&no_shipping=2&cn=State%20product%20code%20and%20size&currency_code=GBP&lc=GB&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red%20News%20Shirt&no_shipping=2&cn=State%20product%20code%20and%20size&currency_code=GBP&lc=GB&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

then e.mail us which shirt (and size), and book you'd like to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can also order by phone or fax (0161-332-8267). E.mail us your phone number
to - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[5] United dominate PFA list
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
from PA

'Chelsea's Didier Drogba and Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo head the
Professional Footballers' Association player of the year award nominations.
United also have Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes as contenders, with
Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas in the frame. Rooney,
Ronaldo and Fabregas are also up for a young player of the year gong.
Tottenham's Aaron Lennon, Kevin Doyle of Reading and Manchester City's Micah
Richards join them on the list.'

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2051413-10351781

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

highly recommended, Andy Mitten interviews 11 famous United players for their
story

Pre-order the Harry Potter book out on July 21st, delivered directly to your
door on the day of release in the UK for £8.99

Borat with Amazon out in March

---------------------------------
[4] FA Cup Final ticket prices announced - some at £35, most £60+!
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
from BBC

'The Football Association believes it has set prices at a "sensible" level for
the FA Cup final between Manchester United and Chelsea on 19 May. The event
returns to Wembley after the stadium was rebuilt and tickets will be £35, £60,
£80 and £95, with a limited number at £17.50 for under-16s.

"It was important to set ticket prices at a sensible and affordable level,"
said FA chief executive Brain Barwick.

"We believe these are very competitive for what will be a historic match."
Football in general is rapidly pricing itself out of the reach of a lot of
ordinary supporters

Football Supporters' Federation chairman Malcolm Clarke

Manchester United beat Watford 4-1 to reach the final, while Chelsea booked
their Wembley place with a 2-1 extra-time win over Blackburn.

Chelsea were the last winners of the FA Cup when the final was played at the
old Wembley.

They beat Aston Villa 1-0 in 2000.

Both clubs will decide on their allocations after meetings this week and
tickets will then be sold via Chelsea and Manchester United ticket offices
only, with no general sale.

However, the Football Supporters' Federation believe the lowest ticket price
should be between £15-20, not £35.

Chairman Malcolm Clarke said: "That would have been quite reasonable. The two
clubs could certainly afford it.

"Football in general is rapidly pricing itself out of the reach of a lot of
ordinary supporters.

"Across the board football, is too highly priced and this is just the latest
example."

---------------------------------
[3] A Red Perspective - Part 2
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
Shame on us all for doubting the wizard. Shame on all of you who claimed the
Great Man had lost the plot. Those of us in the know, well, we knew Fergie knew
and that's all that matters. Fergie knows. In Fergie we trust. Or do we?

While this season has seen a long overdue return to our attacking principles (a
few exceptions away in Europe aside), and a first genuine Title challenge for 3
years it appears some of us are ready to just sweep the last 3 years under the
carpet and file under "Transitional period". The harsh truth is that we could &
should have challenged for the Title in the last 3 seasons and made life a
little more difficult for Arsenal and Chelsea who enjoyed processions to 3
successive League Title's between them while United embarrassingly threw in the
towel before Easter.

It is important to remember this period of transition (for want of a better
word) was actually brought on by the man himself. Fergie dismantled the Title
winning side of 2002-03 far too quickly. The sale of Becks and Veron, both who
could still have contributed for a few more seasons in the shirt, robbed us of
vital creativity. The lone deployment of Van Nistelrooy with little or no
service began a deterioration in relationship between Manager and the most
ruthless Centre Forward we have had at our club since the original 'King',
Denis Law.

When Roman Abramovich arrived in West London with his tainted roubles to rescue
the Circus Act that Ken Bates had created, while desperately trying to make
Chelsea the 'Manchester United of the South', United were in terms of Playing
personnel at least 3 seasons ahead of Chelsea. Despite Chelsea’s new found
wealth, in one summer, Fergie's transfer policy ensured they not only caught us
up but overtook us as we dropped to an embarrassing 3rd having led the title
race going into 2004. Sure, I hear some of you point to Rio's stupidity in
getting banned for the rest of the season but why did Fergie not move to get an
adequate replacement? Instead relying on the injury prone Brown to plug the
gap. The Rio situation was just the start of events that highlighted how weak
our squad had suddenly become. We watched in horror as Bellion ran off the
pitch with the ball time and time again apparently having no grasp of the rules
of Association Football to match his lack of ability.

Beckham and Veron had been ejected, the latter after an excellent pre-season
which prompted Ferguson to tell the world that Veron was ready to dominate
English Football. A week later, he was a Chelsea player. While these two left,
we saw the hapless Bellion, the confused Kleberson and the quite atrocious Eric
Djemba-Djemba come in to strengthen our squad. Only the promise of a young
18-year-old from Madeira lifted our hopes. "It's our strongest squad in my time
here" said Fergie. I think we all thought different. 3 points were surrendered
with alarming regularity to relegation fodder as our new signings were found
out week in week out and the side, re-shaped to protect the aging legs of Roy
Keane, began to record an increasing amount of "zero's" in the Goals For
column.

Throughout this dark period the most concerning part was in the pubs,
concourses and stands the team picked by each and every one of us for each game
came nothing close to what Ferguson would pick. Whilst I admit that Fergie has
forgotten more about Football than any of us could care to remember, it still
caused gasps of astonishment around OT as we lined up for vital League games at
home playing 4 5 1 usually accommodating an extra midfielder or 2 to anchor the
midfield and the emerging Fletcher preferred more often on the right wing to
the exciting Ronaldo. I cannot remember a single match other than the FA Cup
Semi Final against Arsenal where we actually played what most fans & pundits
alike would call our best starting 11. Often, the chance to get a winning run
in the League together was sabotaged by outrageous selection policies. The
worst of which was the decision to leave out Scholes, Keane and Giggs against
Fulham who duly despatched us 3 - 1 on our own turf. There was not even the
excuse of resting players ahead of a European match. Our next game was a League
Cup game at Leeds, a match none of the aforementioned senior players would have
featured in anyway. The return match at Fulham was almost as bad as we missed
chance after chance after chance while Ruud warmed up for about half an hour on
the touchline.

This was not a Team in transition. This was just bad judgement and we saw it
repeated so often over the next 18 months. Defeat at Norwich, 2 points thrown
away at relegated Crystal Palace just as we began to put some pressure on
Chelsea in 2004-05, Blackburn Rovers, Everton, Portsmouth. All these matches
highlighted not only the weak squad Fergie had brought together despite his
misguided belief in it's apparent strength and also Fergie's continually
baffling transfer policy.

We have only dared to whisper it but we all knew in our hearts that should we
get any sort of injury crisis we would be relying on the weak links in our
squad to see us over the line. Well, now this crisis has duly arrived we are
seeing more of Fletcher, O'Shea and Richardson. Whilst to be fair, Fletcher and
O'Shea have not let United down this season Richardson continues to be more of
a concern and a weak link whenever he is selected. His lack of effort in trying
to win the ball back after he has usually given it away is perhaps his most
disheartening trait. Again this comes down to Fergie's judgement. Richardson
has featured 18 times this season (9 starts). With each passing minute on the
pitch he proves he is nowhere near a united player. Yet he is still here.
Surely there must be someone in the Championship or the lower reaches of the
Premiership who would take him? Given some of his alleged off field posing it
is hard to believe the Ferguson of old would have tolerated this [EMAIL
PROTECTED] this long. But it remains Ferguson's faith in his fringe players
that has seen us falter a little in recent weeks. We saw the Fergie of 2004 to
2005 re-appear at Portsmouth where he failed to start with his strongest side
ahead of the Roma game in midweek.

Some may quite rightly say "look at the Roma result" and in particular the
performance of Giggs who didn't play 90 minutes at Fratton Park justify
Fergie's decision to start with Richardson and Fletcher against Portsmouth. I
would counter that by saying that surely at this point in the season we have to
start with our strongest side, carry a minimum of passengers and remove our
most important players once the game is safe - ironically exactly what Fergie
did against Roma on Tuesday night. Perhaps the most frustrating thing is that I
know and we all know what Fergie is capable of. That is why it has ranked so
much with me as we effectively threw away the chance to win League Titles in
2002, 2004 and 2005 on Fergie's whims. Why did he re-shape the team to
accommodate an aging Keane and then sack him half way through the season? We
will never know for sure but maybe Fergie finally realised that we would never
challenge again with the team shaped and playing this way. He more than anyone
knows what it takes to win the League Title.

The players he purchased between 2002 and 2004, bar Ronaldo were never good
enough to wear the shirt. The dealings with his son and the accusations of
nepotism regarding his son and brother left a nasty taste in the mouth as did
the embarrassing 'Rock of Gibraltar' incident which highlighted clearly that
here was a man that may no longer have his mind fully on managing Manchester
United. The delegation of most of the Team selection and tactics to the
much-maligned Carlos showed a man happy to pick up his wages and put his feet
up. Or did it? Maybe it was a man trying to delegate authority when his whole
make up and persona would consider that completely alien to the way he has
lived and breathed football throughout his life. If this is the case then maybe
what we have seen this season is Fergie take back that control.

So here we are in with a shout of another Treble and I have had the temerity to
question our Manager's judgement. Well we will see if the great man really has
got it back in the next few weeks and despite the doubts myself and many others
have about him there is no-one I would like to see more turn this around and
certainly no better man for the mind games and the pressure of "squeaky bum
time". Sir Alex Ferguson's legacy will never be in doubt and he will never be
matched in terms of what he has achieved. I only ask these questions because
there had been a definite dip in Ferguson's performance - something that,  if
it had continued for another 2 or 3 seasons, the club would, however unlikely
it seems, have to address. His judgement in the Transfer market along with the
nepotism and the "Sextonesque" football on offer at OT had the most red tinted
of all Red's questioning whether maybe Fergie's time was up. Maybe we all just
expect too much of a man who has given us too much. Maybe his decision not to
retire in 2002 having "wound down" and allowed things to slip a bit whilst
chasing the dream of a Glasgow farewell was the wrong decision. The next few
weeks will tell us whether it was or wasn't.

I believe the biggest obstacle Fergie faces is Fergie himself. The next few
weeks will see a battle between the cavalier instincts of old which have
surfaced often in the League this season (and finally in Europe on Tuesday
against Roma) and the more cautious Fergie of the last few seasons who may want
to keep it tight and try to keep what we've got. It will be a fascinating
battle and one that will shape our destiny. If Fergie delivers who can possibly
even contemplate that he isn't the right man for the job? If he fails to
deliver then we will have gone 4 years without a League title and 8 years
without a European Cup. Would any other top club in Europe accept this as
success? The next few weeks may just be the biggest of Sir Alex Ferguson’s
career. I hope more than anything that he proves all the doubters like me wrong
yet again. I am just not so sure anymore that he has the ability to see us
through this.

Please God let me be wrong!

Si K

---------------------------------
[2] Our popular brand new Polo Shirts
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

NEW! NEW! NEW! JUST £25.99 Inc p&p in UK (Europe add £2 / ROW add £4)

To fit chest:

S 35-38" (width facing side 19.5 inches, length 28 inches)
M 39-40/41" (width facing side 20.5 inches, length 29 inches)
L 41-44/45" (width facing side 22.5 inches, length 29.5 inches)
XL 45-47" (width facing side 23.5 inches, length 30.5 inches)

You can now fax orders with your credit card details (name, address, number and
start/end date) on 44-16-1332-8267

New range of classy hand embroidered ECF '68 celebrating Polo shirts in red and
white now at just £25.99 inc p&p! (Europe add £2 / ROW add £4)

100% unofficial Short Sleeve 100% cotton, high quality shirts.

Option 1 - RNPoloW Old style crest with 'Wembley 1968' on white polo shirt

WITH full Hand made Embroidery of 1968 ECF style crest. HIGHEST QUALITY.

Available in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large sizes. Please specify SIZE when
ordering. See size details above for which is your best size.

ONLY £25.99 including postage and packing!
(Europe add £2 / ROW add £4) - please fill in the price column and product code
online accordingly.

Prod. Code: RNPoloW

Option 2 - RNPoloR Old style crest with 'Wembley 1968' on red polo shirt

WITH full Hand made Embroidery of 1968 ECF style crest. HIGHEST QUALITY.

Available in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large sizes. Please specify SIZE when
ordering. See size details above for which is your best size.

ONLY £25.99 including postage and packing!
(Europe add £2 / ROW add £4) - please fill in the price column and product code
online accordingly.

Prod. Code: RNPoloR

You can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo. Or by
post at Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG.

Just mark the product code and shirt size when ordering below.

To fit chest:

S 35-38" (width facing side 19.5 inches, length 28 inches
M 39-40/41" (width facing side 20.5 inches, length 29 inches)
L 41-44/45" (width facing side 22.5 inches, length 29.5 inches)
XL 45-47" (width facing side 23.5 inches, length 30.5 inches)

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Click on to order via paypal below

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red%20News%20Shirt&no_shipping=2&cn=State%20product%20code%20and%20size&currency_code=GBP&lc=GB&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red%20News%20Shirt&no_shipping=2&cn=State%20product%20code%20and%20size&currency_code=GBP&lc=GB&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

You can also order by phone or fax (44-16-1332-8267). E.mail us your phone
number to - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The shopper has the right to cancel within seven days of their contract with
us, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If the
shopper does cancel their order, they will have their payment returned and we
will outline the procedures they must follow to return their goods or services.
These follow the guidelines of The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling)
Regulations 2000.

---------------------------------
[1] A Red Perspective - Part 1
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007 by ed:
No doubt this summer will be like all the others. The predictable
merry-go-round of transfer speculation and headlines will be upon us again.
United will be linked with £20 million bids for strikers from all over Europe.
The names will be exotic; Berbatov, Torres, Villa. All will be the answer to
Alex Ferguson’s ‘striking problems’. We know how it works. We see it every
year. The stories are the same, only the names will change.

This year whilst the gossip and rumour of pre-season will fills your back pages
and runs across the bottom of your Sky Sports news screen, spare a thought for
Alan Smith.
If ever a player could be summed up by name alone its Smith. Simple, to the
point, English. Smith doesn’t do fancy, he does honesty. He does hard work,
determination and strength too. We shouldn’t forget he can play too. His finish
against Roma proved that.
Few could argue as Smith finished off a beautiful one touch passing move from
United to score the second in the destruction of Roma that anyone deserved it
more. Watching the emotion pour out of him during his celebration was like
watching the demons of Smith’s broken leg at Anfield finally being exercised.
United saw Smith the striker against Roma. Tirelessly closing down defenders,
holding the ball up, giving it simple, allowing Rooney, Giggs and Ronaldo to do
what they best. Destroy teams.

Sacrifice for the greater good of the team is what Smith is all about. When
Alex Ferguson asked him to switch to the holding midfield role, Smith did so
without complaint. His determination to make the move a success saw him turn
down the opportunity to play for England, choosing instead to play for the
reserves and work on his new position. The switch didn’t really solve the
midfield problems in the way Ferguson has hoped, but it wasn’t for Smith’s lack
of effort.

Even in breaking his leg we saw an example of Smith the footballer. Racing out
of the wall to throw himself in front of a rocket of a shot from John Arne
Riise. Ferguson described the injury as the ‘worst he’d ever seen’. It could’ve
ended Smith’s career. Quietly, he went his road to full fitness. A year after
the injury the offer of going out on loan to complete the final stages of his
comeback was turned down by Smith, not wanting to under perform for the club he
went to due to his lack of sharpness. Instead he stayed at United and worked on
a specially designed fitness programme. His desire to play for the club again
shown.

Smith’s performance against Roma was a great example of his quality. It was
also full of promise. Promise of seeing a player who once might never play
again, play to the level he is capable of. Promise of a player who has
sacrificed his own gain for that of United, finally be given a run in the side
in the position he was bought for. His goal against Roma showed the potential
we saw in his first few months at Old Trafford, when he was doing what he does
best, leading the line and making life difficult for opposition defences, and
scoring the odd volley from the edge of the area.

So this summer when you sit down to eat your cornflakes and cast your eye over
the morning’s sports pages at Alex Ferguson’s ‘latest’ transfer target, think
of Alan Smith at home, waiting patiently for his chance to prove that if there
is ‘striking problem’ it can be solved by a good old fashioned English centre
forward, that brings to the table not only a passion and desire but also a
massive amount of ability.

Steven K

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional