>To take advantage of this reservoir of assistance, the extent of which has
certainly
>been publicly recognized, I would have to be able to say more than that
Linux will
>not recognize the network card (known to work flawlessly elsewhere)
installed in this
>particular machine. This very same version of Linux recognizes the same
type of card
>in another machine; this very card which has become invisible in this
machine works
>perfectly in another one; the recommended settings to use in the event of
autoprobing
>failure do absolutely nothing; and this computer is otherwise fully
functional. How
>is one to distill from this set of facts a basis for curing the problem?

So what you are suggesting is that the card won't work in this particular
machine.
You haven't proved its the OS at all in fact you have proved that Linux can
work this card but not in this machine.
On the evidence given, the only thing you haven't proven to work is the
machine with the network card.

Had much support from the hardware vendor for the PC?

Willie