David,

To drag this thread kicking and screaming back towards _solutions_ rather
than philosophy, you seemed to suggest problems with X hanging. If you are
after reliability then I'd suggest genuine Diamond Stealth gfx boards,
Trio64 DRAM boards are some of the most reliable I've seen. Geniuine DS
Virge DRAM boards seem pretty solid too.

Matrox boards _still_ have flaky drivers under XFree-3.3.2 -- startx just
hung our Alpha here. FWIW, Matrox boards (although the situation is
probably remedied now) also had _appalling_ unstable drivers for NT and
win95 when they first came out, and for quite some time after too.

Chris