At 11:35 a 04/08/98 -0400, Mike Johnson wrote:

>>Is it really fair to call what you get from Microsoft "support"? I'd say
>>it's more like, "one company to get jerked around by while they promise
>>you a fix in the near future."
>
>Well, to get decent support out of Microsoft, you have to pay for it.  I'm
>not a defender of this practice, or a Microsoft lover by any stretch of the
>imagination, but we pay for support from Microsoft, and every problem we've
>called them on has been worked on until we were satisfied that the problem
>was solved.

Well, we also pay for support from Sun, and their support is considerably
better than Microsoft's, as is the support of many other companies in the
industry. In my experience, it seems to be too frequently that MS's pay
support hits an issue that ends up being a technical problem with their OS,
and they figure out a workaround while they kick the problem around
engineering. It's quite a hassle, since you need to be fairly persistant
about remaining in touch about the progress of the fix. Oh yes, they
certainly work on the problem until it's solved, but waiting for a hotfix
to become available is not really fun when the problem pertains to your
important systems. Really not so much the fault of the tech support as it
is the crummy programs they release in the first place.

Larry Lade - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/6686
PGP Public Key:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/6686/pubkey.txt
Fight junk e-mail!  See http://www.cauce.org to find out how.