  Stephan> - Works with *any* pop (or imap if used) client versus
  Stephan> proprietary clients for Exchange.  Including free versions
  Stephan> of Eudora, Netscape, and Pegasus.

Exchange will work with any POP3 client; I use fetchmail with it.

What I will say though, is that for some reason Linux is massively
faster:-

$ time fetchmail halon.vggas.com
fetchmail: No mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Command exited with non-zero status 1
0.01user 0.00system 0:00.43elapsed 2%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

$ time fetchmail mclaren
fetchmail: No mail at JYoungman@mclaren
Command exited with non-zero status 1
0.01user 0.00system 0:03.08elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

Here, more speed means greater efficiency; it's the difference between
being able to serve 13,000 users versus 2,000 (say) on the same
hardware.  This difference is utterly reproducible; a performance
ration of about 6!.

halon.vggas.com is a 32Mb P100 running Red Hat 4.2 (with Apache, INN,
Sendmail servers in use).  Mclaren is an NT Server 3.51 box with dual
Pentium Pros, and lots of memory & RAID disks (it's a large Compaq).
I don't administer Mclaren so I'm not quite sure of its specs.

  Stephan> Now, in the spirit of intellectual and professional honesty
  Stephan> (and as I donn my asbestos long johns), there may be
  Stephan> situations where Exchange should be considered:

You missed one; where you need a centrally-maintained address book for
use by remote users.