On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 20:27, Bill Anderson wrote:

snip
> As an instructor who needs to insall on the sites I go to, I look at it
> this way:
> The most common use of personal should be optimized for the single disc
> install. It decreases the number of discs, and speeds my install. This
> is not an insignificant difference. Unfortunately, not all sites I've
> gone to have a 100MB network, instead running 10MB through a hub -- an
> install of half a dozen or more desktops over that network is s s s s s
> s l l l l l l o o o o o o o o o ow.
>
> If I can drop a single disc in, get them all started, and move on to
> something else, it cuts down my prep time dramtically.
>
> That's why for Linux Fundamentals, and general admin/shell scripting
> classes I've found Debian a better platform. One disc has made a major
> difference in time spent there.
>
> I'm not advocating (here) what should constitute a given "install
> package", just that the "minimum" and/or the "personal desktop" should
> not require all the discs, just the first one. Not advocating package
> change, just disc sequencing. ;)

Bill -  It sounds like this might be a great application for you to
build your own installation cds with  kickstart built in.  Burn a dozen
and you can simply walk into a lab, insert the cd, reboot and walk
away.  You could then do all of them simultaneously and hava working lab
in about 15 minutes.

It is really not that difficult and the time spent getting it right
would pay for it on the first install.  I have some links somewhere.  If
you like I can try to dig them up.  With your skills you should be able
to knock out a working version in half a day or so.  The kickstart list
is good for working on stuff like this as well.

Bret