>> MailScanner is intended to run on a mail server to protect those systems
>> pulling mail from it.  If you're only using a single linux box to
>> send/receive all your mail then I doubt using MailScanner to screen for
>> virus' is of any value???  All the virus' are Microsoft based.
>
> Ah, but you see, I am embarrassed to admit that I am using Outlook Express
> to check my email from my windows box at work.  I'm using imap/ssl,
> smtp/ssl
> and smtp-auth to secure my connection, and I haven't found another windows
> client that works using all of this.  So yes, I'm vulnerable to windows
> virii meandering through my linux box.
>
> Does f-prot protect against windows virii or linux virii?  And *are* there
> any linux virii?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ben

My understanding is that there are no linux virii in the same category as
Win virii.  Unless you're running as root the potential damage is limited
to your own workspace.  I suppose someone could send you a program to
delete all your files and if you're dumb enough to run it..well, what can
I say!  Linux has it's problems but those are related to insecure programs
generally vulnerable to buffer overflows allowing root access.

F-Prot, Sophos, McAfee, ClamAV etc are all designed to screen for various
Win based assaults.

Gerry