Hi,

 You will find that its easier to do this with Exim, as you can set it
up as a relay and then pass/filter messages thru' this server to the
lotus notes machines.

 I believe that you should be able to use F-Prot with Exiscan but double
check. Sendmail is harder to use, Exim is a fast growing mail system
that is widely being adopted. Qmail is stagnant, Postfix would be my
second choice. Put the exim box in the DMZ and you should be okay after
that.

        Cheers,

        Aly.

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 16:25, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Bearing in mind that I'm fairly new to all things Linux....
>
> I have a total of 10 mail servers for which I need to provide a higher
> level of email protection.  9 of them are hosted on one Lotus Domino server
> (running on a Windows NT 4.0 server), each with their own domain name and
> public IP address; the other one is hosted on an IBM AS/400, with its own
> domain name and public IP address.  Both machines are behind a corporate
> firewall (CheckPoint software).
>
> What I'm wanting is a box between the firewall and the two mail servers.
> Mail comes in, is sent to the SMTP scanner box, then sent on to the
> appropriate server after being processed.  Vice-versa for outbound email.
>
> Can I do this with MailScanner/F-Prot/Sendmail on a Redhat box?
> or....
>
> Can I configure sendmail to direct email to a specific server, based on the
> destination IP address?
>
> Pluses would be:
> - if the email is not intended for one of my IP addresses, or
> - if the email is not FROM one of my IP addresses,
> - reject the email to put a stop to any relaying attempts
>
> Tom Hightower
> Solutions, Inc
> http://www.simas.com
>

>                       Gerry Doris
>
>                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>                       Sent by:                 cc:
>
>                       redhat-list-admin        Subject:  Re: SMTP scanning software?
>
>                       @redhat.com
>

>                       06/18/2003 04:29
>
>                       PM
>
>                       Please respond to
>
>                       redhat-list
>

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> > We need to set up an SMTP scanning server.  I've been looking at /
> getting
> > prices for Windows NT-based solutions such as McAfee's WebShield SMTP.
> > Does anyone know of any Linux-based (preferably Redhat) equivalents?
> >
> > Tom Hightower
> > Solutions, Inc
> > http://www.simas.com
>
> I highly recommend MailScanner.  It's written in Perl and will integrate
> with sendmail tranparently ie. no changes required to a working sendmail
> config.  It also works with Exim and Postfix but I haven't used those.
>
> MailScanner supports over a dozen commercial virus scanners as well as a
> few open source ones.  I'm using F-PROT (commercial) and ClamAV (open
> source) together and am not aware of any virus' that have slipped through.
> Serious users often use multiple virus scanners since some are updated
> faster than others.  Cron scripts are available to autoupdate the
> scanners.
>
> MailScanner will also work transparently with SpamAssassin to detect spam.
> My setup uses MailScanner calling F-Prot/ClamAV, and SpamAssassin.  I've
> also installed Vipul's Razor and DCC which are used by SpamAssassin.  If
> you aren't aware, SpamAssassin is a rules based program that scans the
> [...]
Aly S.P Dharshi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Student and System Administrator ORS Servers

        "A good speech is like a good dress
         that's short enough to be interesting
         and long enough to cover the subject"