On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:08:24AM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 09:15 9/23/2003, you wrote:
> >Ed mentioned that perhaps such an offering is on the horizon.  I'm
> >struggling to imagine how they will differentiate it from Fedora and
> >Enterprise.
>
> How's this for a thought? Make SS available for $99/year. Include
> everything a small business server needs (which I think makes it equivalent
> to ES), offer automatic updates via RHN, installed package tracking, plus a
> few (three, five?) incidents of WEB-ONLY support per year. No phone support
> at all.

I've suggested to them that from a personal point of view, $199 plus RHN
@ $60/yr might be viable.  That makes the 3-year cost about $380 and
you're coming in at about $300.

I'd be somewhat satisfied with either option.  Of course, people are
used to paying $0 plus $60/year for RHN, so either option is more money
for them and will cause some customers to leave Red Hat.  I'm not a
marketing guy either and whether this results in a net gain or loss for
Red Hat is well beyond my skill set.

There's a strong likelihood that neither option will actually be
announced (if I was that lucky, I'd be richer than I am!), but speculating
can be fun at times.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]