From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Sean Estabrooks
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 11:15 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fedora

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:05:28 -0600
"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sean, in the corporate world you may be right, although even then, it
> strikes me that to take market share away from Windows, they should be

> cheaper. Given a two-year cycle of upgrades (not that common), it's
$360

> total which means it costs at least as much as Windows XP
> Professional, if not more. Same goes for servers, where we upgrade
> generally every three years: total cost of ES is $1,050 which was the
> cost of Windows licenses I was trying to avoid by moving servers to
> Red Hat.

Well, you get a better product for that money but you're right it's not
exactly cheap.   I think it's _fair_ but i agree it might be out of
range
for some situations.

> However, that is not my primary point. What REALLY interests me is
> this: I, and thousands upon thousands of people, pay Red Hat
> $60/system/year for RHN service on RHL systems (either bought or
> downloaded). Typically we pay this  for N machines, where probably 1 <

> N < 10. Together we are all a market which, in large part, simply
> cannot or will not afford WS, ES, AS, or even Mini-X. IMHO, Red Hat
> NEEDS to make sure that we are not forgotten or left out in the cold.

You know that RedHat is bound by economic realities.  I'm sure if there
is a way to provide the services you want and turn a profit they will
find a
way to provide them.   What exactly is it that Fedora does _not_ provide
that you are willing to pay RedHat $60.00/server/year to get?

> Where, I ask, is RHEL-SS (SOHO Server)? Where is that $99/year price
> for SS which could serve as the first step for adoption of RH in
> corporate shops, or the only option for adoption of RH in very small
> shops? I WANT MY SOHO SERVER!!!

Ed mentioned that perhaps such an offering is on the horizon.  I'm
struggling to imagine how they will differentiate it from Fedora and
Enterprise.

> Editor's Note: I have a lot of faith in Red Hat, and I will give them
> every possible benefit of the doubt. I also recognize that the just
> launched Fedora Core YESTERDAY, and that we have worked ourselves into

> a lather in only 24 hours. So I will wait patiently for them to issue
> lots of other announcements which I'm sure will make things clearer.
> But today, at this point, so far, I do not see a product offering from

> RH which I can be _sure_ meets my needs and price point. THIS is my
> concern.

Agreed.

Regards,
Sean