At 08:25 9/23/2003, you wrote:
Both of these options are reasonably priced and give you more value,
stability, and support for the money than you're likely to find elsewhere:

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/es/     server for $349
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/ws/     workstation for $179

Sean, in the corporate world you may be right, although even then, it strikes me that to take market share away from Windows, they should be cheaper. Given a two-year cycle of upgrades (not that common), it's $360 total which means it costs at least as much as Windows XP Professional, if not more. Same goes for servers, where we upgrade generally every three years: total cost of ES is $1,050 which was the cost of Windows licenses I was trying to avoid by moving servers to Red Hat.

However, that is not my primary point. What REALLY interests me is this: I, and thousands upon thousands of people, pay Red Hat $60/system/year for RHN service on RHL systems (either bought or downloaded). Typically we pay this for N machines, where probably 1 < N < 10. Together we are all a market which, in large part, simply cannot or will not afford WS, ES, AS, or even Mini-X. IMHO, Red Hat NEEDS to make sure that we are not forgotten or left out in the cold.

Where, I ask, is RHEL-SS (SOHO Server)? Where is that $99/year price for SS which could serve as the first step for adoption of RH in corporate shops, or the only option for adoption of RH in very small shops? I WANT MY SOHO SERVER!!!

Editor's Note: I have a lot of faith in Red Hat, and I will give them every possible benefit of the doubt. I also recognize that the just launched Fedora Core YESTERDAY, and that we have worked ourselves into a lather in only 24 hours. So I will wait patiently for them to issue lots of other announcements which I'm sure will make things clearer. But today, at this point, so far, I do not see a product offering from RH which I can be _sure_ meets my needs and price point. THIS is my concern.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz [EMAIL PROTECTED]