At 11:01 9/23/2003, you wrote:
I think that the real problem is that we once had available the download
of the grand package and updates for $60.00 and now we can only get a
part of the package and updates for $349.

Sticker shock to those of us used to free.

No, you're mixing things here (and I don't see why you feel you only get "part of the package" with RHEL-ES). Here are the two real options you have now (from what we know), and a third just to show it doesn't belong with the real two options:

1. You had the free package available for, well, free, and Red Hat did not provide automatic updates. However, you _could_ get those using other tools like yum, current, and apt-get. Fedora will still be free, still downloadable, _and_ the community will ensure that apt-get, yum, and current work well. Gained a little, lost nothing.

2. You could get auto updates from Red Hat for $60/year. Now you can get auto updates from Fedora for $0/year. Gained a savings of $60/year, lost nothing (just changed the command you run from "up2date" to "apt-get" or something else). Red Hat loses here, not you.

The one that shouldn't be mixed in:

3. You could move to an entirely different product which is RHEL, with entirely different pricing, capabilities, and support. Gain or loss is irrelevant, since this option should not be compared to RHL/Fedora anyway. Windows Advanced Server, Oracle Enterprise, even Acura/Honda provide comparisons... RHEL is a different animal, and the fact that it costs more makes no difference since, if you really needed it, you would have bought it anyway even if there had been an RHL 10.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz [EMAIL PROTECTED]