Hmmm

> I think your perceptions are skewed by the sample group you're looking at.
> Many of the people who post to the lists are probably linux enthusiasts,
> who see such things as opportunities to play with their toys, not as
> hassles that impede their progress toward some other goal.  I myself fall
> in the middle.  I don't mind recompiling, I even prefer .tgz distributions
> to .rpm, but still wish I could have had added NFS with a command line
> trick instead of a kernel rebuild.
>
> I don't bother with patches except in the case of security issues - Linux
> and MS seem to be on par with each other there, with Linux having a small
> advantage perhaps (owing to the longer history of recreational hacking on
> open source).

1) Patches are a pain and a security risk in themselves

Apart from the fact that they smack of the crack in the dyke syndrome,
who says you can apply a patch perfectly...

2) Who says there couldn't be developed a GUI front end which rebuilt a
kernel behind one's back

lol....WINCRAP says "I am installing your new S3 Virge Drive...please
wait"...why can't KDE say "I am installing your new SCSI device now".
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

DAVOD