A lot of folks, such as Nate here, have been saying that Linux rarely
crashes.
That's true, some of the time.  However, I've got a machine I've had to
reboot
twice a day from hard lockups (kernal panics) for the past week... and it
was
down for the last month before that.  I have another machine that had been
up continuous for 170 days, no reboots needed (last reboot before that was
from a power failure).  After shutting down for Y2K, it didn't come up (ok,
it was a harddrive failure... we talked about that last week).  I had to
rebuild the system from scratch, but it's locked up twice in the past week
(same day).  I've played a bit with the configuration, and it's not locked
up in 4 days, but.....

So, no, there are still some bugs in Linux.  The difference is this, though.
Linus was up continuous for 170 days.  Pigpen had been up 100 (power
failure,
again, but different circuit).  Woodstock has been up now for a week (except
for one power down to close up the case), since I got my two nic setup
working.
Various other Linux boxes have been up continuous/semi-continuous for a
while.
I'm having problems on TWO machines, one of which was problem free up to 2
weeks
ago... out of a dozen.  And these are not high quality parts (all of them
are rejects, has beens, and trash pile recoveries.... Woodstock and Pigpen
are 133 MHz Pentiums, Linus is a 200 MHz PPro, and the others are all 100MHz
Pentiums...

I use Linux (and RH in particular) because it's the best tool for what I
need:
X-Workstations, highly configurable, robust, fairly quick, relatively
feature
rich, OR stripped down UNIX compute nodes for a Beowulf Cluster Computer.
NT doesn't let me do that.

Bill Ward