Well, this theory of "always overhead" sounds a little simplistic to me. But I might
be very wrong since it depends very much on how things are implemented.

Let's see. The card and the main processor  are two different things (even if tey are
not, Linux is multitask). Taking a packet p1 beeing treated by the proc, if it can
treat it in less time than it takes the card to receive packet p2, there should be NO
overhead at all.

Now the pb is more about the packets themselves. Once again, I don't know exactly how
things are implemented. But if you do masquerading, it seems you have to add
information both ways in the packets in order to retreive the right destination on the
way back. This is an overhead. But it doesn't depend on the speed of your processor as
long as it can treat the packets as fast as they come in.

Am I missing something ??

Philippe