I have been using a 486-DX-120 [ using RH 5.2 and ipfwadm ] and have
been experimenting with the amount of RAM installed. I have been told
that ppp moves the data at the kernel level and a lot of ram is not
necessary.

I have tried using the setup with both 8 meg and 16 meg of ram and the
data transfer performance appears to be the same with either amount of
ram.

My 120 mhz processer didn't seem to be a good match for this mother
board but still gave good performance so I really think your 486 DX 66
would work just fine.

[ by the way I have temporarily shut down this box as I am upgrading it
to RH-6.1 and IPChains... I will be upgrading the motherboard and
processer to a Pentium
... I might be willing to part with the 486-DX-120 CPU cheap if you want
? ]

Good luck

--
"Linux: the operating system with a CLUE...
 [ie...Command Line User Environment]".