Hi Gordon

At 12:17 AM 12/17/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Stephen Liu wrote:
>
> > I started to boot RH7.2 at single mode (linux single).  The PC halted
> after ;
> >
> > Enable SWAP space :  [OK]
> > sh - 2.05#
>
>Halted like you couldn't type anything, or halted like you were expecting
>it to do something else?  Single user mode is just a shell, with no
>unnecessary services running.

I could not type anything at halt.  I let it standing there for about 10
minutes.  I had no idea what command it expected to receive.  When I
pressed Ctrl + Alt + Del, the PC re-start.  Situation was still the same.

> > I re-installed RH7.2 choosing  LILO bootloader instead of Drub.
>
>That's GRUB, the Grand Unified Bootloader.
>
> > After installation completed PC re-started and halted on
> >
> > LIL-
>
>If you installed on /dev/hda, then what does the output of:
>fdisk -l /dev/hda
>look like?  It's possible that you needed a /boot partition that the BIOS
>can access, and you didn't make one.  (Autopartitioning should have
>worked.)

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hdg: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1245 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdg1   *         1         6     48163+  83  Linux
/dev/hdg2             7      1213   9695227+  83  Linux
/dev/hdg3          1214      1245    257040   82  Linux swap

I used autopartition at installation and put LILO loader residing on /boot
partition.

/etc/liloconf
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux
boot=/dev/hdg1
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
linear

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
         label=linux
         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
         read-only
         root=/dev/hdg2

>GRUB is more inteligent than LILO.  The former can read filesystems using
>a second stage loader, and can therefore boot kernel images that exist on
>disk, but not in the config file.  LILO can't do that.
>
>GRUB will allow you to add or remove an initrd from a kernel definition.
>LILO won't let you do that.
>
>There're other differences, but in general, GRUB is the way to go.

Thanks for your advice.

B.R.
Stephen