Tony Langdon wrote:

> It's 18 Jun 98  16:13:22,
> We'll return to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and All's
> discussion of worng domain name in email header
>
>  rw> I don't know if this a sendmail problem or network configuration
>  rw> problem.
>
>  rw> All mail that goes through my SMPT is referanced as
>  rw> (user)@office.ohiocounty.net it is supposed to be
>  rw> (user)@ohiocounty.net.  If I try to send mail to an account with
>  rw> (user)@ohiocounty.net it gets returned to me (or whoever sends it).
>  rw> Even the mail daemon has an address of
>  rw> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  rw> any suggestion on this?
>
> By default, sendmail pulls out the hostname of the machine it's running
> on and puts it in the from: header.  This is a common problem for dialup
> users who fetch mail from a POP server, or networks where you want mail
> to go to the domain, not the host.
>
> If you use Netscape locally, you can fix it in Netscape.  If you use a
> shell based mail agent (e.g. elm, pine), you can get sendmail to
> masquerade as any domain you want.  In /etc/sendmail.cf, there is a line
> to configure masquerading.  Simply add the desired domain after this in
> the space provided for masquerading (the line beginning with DM) and
> remove any leading hash (#) to uncomment the line.
>
> DMohiocounty.net
>
> Also, you'll have to add ohiocounty.net to /etc/sendmail.cw, if you are
> running the machine as a mail server for a domain, so incoming mail to
> ohiocounty.net is treated as local mail.
>
> Finally, make sure you have the appropriate MX records in your DNS, so
> other hosts know where to send mail for your domain.

Well I don't except incoming mail other that an occasional return
receipt.  But I did (for the dial users) include a line that maps the
'mail.ohiocounty.net' to the SMTP server. This also the dialin server,
ftp, www, etc. ...

;
; Zone file for Ohiocounty.Net
;
;
@       IN      SOA     office.ohiocounty.net. root.ohiocounty.net. (
                        1998042400      ; serial, todays date + todays
serial #
                        8H              ; refresh, Hours, Seconds
                        2H              ; retry
                        1W              ; expire
                        1D)             ; minimum TTL
;
                NS      office          ; Inet Address of NameServer
                MX      10 mail         ; Primary Mail Exchanger
;
localhost       A       127.0.0.1
ftp             A       192.168.1.1
www             A       192.168.1.1
office          A       192.168.1.1
mail            A       192.168.1.1
office_two      A       192.168.1.90
dial-up         A       192.168.1.100
ttyc0           A       192.168.1.101
ttyc1           A       192.168.1.102
ttyc2           A       192.168.1.103
ttyc3           A       192.168.1.104
ttyc4           A       192.168.1.105
ttyc5           A       192.168.1.106
ttyc6           A       192.168.1.107
ttyc7           A       192.168.1.108
~

> Dialup users fetching mail won't need to to do the last two steps (since
> their isp will be holding the mail), but instead, should make sure

I am thier ISP.  However, (to apply this) I guess your saying this is
not nesscary since netaddress.com (a free email server) will be holding
their mail.  I just relay it. A SMTP, that is all I do.

> important addresses such as MAILER-DAEMON and root aren't masqueraded
> (don't want to go impersonating your ISP, do you? :) ).  There is a
> space provided for this, which should be easily found from the comments
> in sendmail.cf.

thanks agin ;-)
--
robert