Eugene's comments have really helped me to think about this issue. I
think part of what makes this issue complicated for me (obviously I
can't speak for Eugene) is that the protestors are really engaged in two
communicative acts.

1. There is the message to the mourners. The core of that message is "We
are glad your son is dead." And "G-d punished your son because of
America's wrongdoing regarding Gay rights." Here, the language about Gay
rights, I think, is largely irrelevant to what makes the protestors
speech so horrible. The protestors could be talking about any of a
laundry list of America's perceived failings, all of which had virtually
nothing to do the dead soldier's mission in Iraq. The core message is
"We are glad your son is dead" and "G-d punished your son because of
America's wrongdoing." Whatever those messages to the mourners expresses
about a matter of public concern is so limited and so overshadowed by
the personal invective that is being communicated that I assign it
little weight. Maybe this would be a different case if there was some
connection between the dead soldier's conduct or the mourners' conduct
and the protestors message. But these isn't any such connection. Or to
put it another way, whatever reasons there are for distinguishing
between matters of public concerns and matters that are not of public
concern are not furthered by protecting the communications to the
mourners in this case.

2. There is also the message to the general public. Here the message
about G-d punishing America because of its perceived support of Gay
rights seems more of a matter of public concern. It is related to the
country's public culture and law. The problem here, as Rick Esenberg
suggested, is that the mourners are being used as props to help the
protestors communicate their message. It is the conscription of the
mourners and their agony into the protestors' message that is
problematic.

   By analogy, I would concede that racists can express hateful messages
about the members of a racial minority and hold a racial group up to
public ridicule and contempt under the protection of the First
Amendment. I understand the argument that such speech can be described
as a matter of public concern. But I am not convinced that this means
that racists can publicly harass a black person and publicly humiliate
him or her to express their message. I'm not at all sure that they
should be allowed to defend their conduct and distinguish their acts
from more private speech and targeting (which is more generally
recognized to be subject to sanction) by arguing that they are engaging
in public harassment of individuals to help publicize their racist
message -- which is a matter of public concern.

Alan Brownstein